Saturday, March 21, 2009

Broken Dreams

Just a poem in a story I wrote for fun. Today was boring and I had nothing, but the house to myself most of the day so I grabbed my notebook and began scribbling down ideas for a story.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to pray for miracles and dreams,
And all you brought were nightmares.
A young woman sits on her window ledge whispering to the stars. A faded photograph rests on her lap. Tears roll down the woman’s cheek. Her long dark hair falls in loose curls around her face and shoulders. She lifts a hand to the window and draws a small heart on its wet surface.
I had vision of forever,
And all you could do was crush them.
Rain taps on the window. Condensation trickles down and ruins the perfect heart. Tears fall faster but the woman doesn’t move.
I have never seen the stars so bright,
Nor the moon so round.
I have never thought the rain so perfect,
Nor the dark so comforting.
Finally the woman stirs. She lifts the photograph from her knees and stares longingly at it. A tear splashes against the faded picture. Her thumb brushes it away. She whispers softly.
I gave you all my heart and my life,
And all you did was laugh.
The woman stands gracefully. Her slender figure casts perfect shadows that flicker in the firelight. She glides over to the roaring flames and drops in the picture. The fire hisses and spits as it burns a hole in the memories.
I fell hopelessly in love,
And all you had to do was fall for me too.
A clock chimes midnight. The woman smiles. The fire calms again. A small gust of wind whistles through the room throwing ashes from the fire.
I have never seen the stars so bright,
Nor the moon so round.
The woman walks across to the window. She opens it and holds her hand out; catching the rain. She kneels on the ledge and leans out to feel the rain on her skin. Carefully she turns around and sits with her legs hanging down the outside wall. She holds out her arms and embraces the darkness.
I have never thought the rain so perfect,
Nor the dark so comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment